Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Living on the bleeding edge

Well, I am nothing if not impatient.

So yesterday I wondered off to Windows Update, and gave it a little nudge ("Check for Updates"), and there was

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607

Doesn't look like much, does it? But that's the Windows Update description of what's known more commonly as the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (It's not the tenth anniversary, silly! It's the first anniversary of Windows 10. Well, anyway...)

So that is a pretty big update, and takes a while to download and install, but all of that went fine.

Then, today, I decided to take a deep breath and follow the instructions on this Installation Guide:

  1. Turn on Developer Mode
  2. Enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature (gui)
  3. Enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature (command line)
  4. Reboot
  5. Install bash and Ubuntu on Windows

And, there it is! Bash!

The first thing I tried was to go to my copy of the Derby source code, checked out with Subversion from the Apache website.

I typed 'svn stat', and bash politely told me that I needed to run

sudo apt-get install subversion

So I did that, and it Just Worked, and et voila! I am running Ubuntu.

And Windows.

Together.

Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment