Wednesday, August 12, 2009

USCF drama

Wow! High Drama in the USCF.

I hadn't been following this story at all; apparently it's been going on for some time.

It's been a while (10+ years, sadly) since I seriously followed chess, but I definitely remember the Polgar sisters, and when they first took the chess world by storm. As I recall, Judit Polgar was the most talented of the sisters, but they were all very strong players.

I was thinking about chess recently because I've been playing chess with my son when I see him, which isn't as often as I'd like. My son was asking about chess clubs and ways to play chess, and I remembered that at the time, there was something called the Internet Chess Club.

It seems like the Internet Chess Club is still around, but they are no longer free. Is that right?

What I remembered was a place where you could sign on, watch other people's games in real-time, and occasionally play a game yourself if you wanted to. Does such a place still exist? I see that there is something called the Free Internet Chess Server, is that worth investigating?

I don't have the time, unfortunately, to get seriously back into chess, but if I was looking for a hobbyist's web site, where I could follow chess news, view chess games (both stored ones and real-time games), and occasionally play a game of my own, where would I go?

1 comment:

  1. Probably http://chesspark.com or chess.com. :) The former has the distinction of being developed with Erlang and XMPP (ejabberd), and the developers make informative posts on Planet Jabber, as a bonus.

    ReplyDelete